Monday, March 20, 2006

sentimental journey

Last Saturday, we took the kids on a stroll at UP Diliman, where the air is always fresh. (Do I hear objections?) Well, for me at least, being a regular "inhaler" of the polluted Pasig air, I always welcome the opportunity to go back to my alma mater, even if only to get a whiff of fresh air. I was forced to do some exercise, running after my little girls, who played tag around the pillars of Quezon Hall, making sure they didn't tumble down the steps into the base of the Oblation.

Ahh, the Oblation. After taking some decent shots of the statue and the sun that was beginning to set on it, I suddenly felt a pang of nostalgia. It has been almost 24 years since I first sat foot in UP, full of hopes of becoming a . . . Now, lemme see. What did I enter UP for? I certainly did not intend to become a political scientist. This is one of those vague degrees that will make you more confused about what you really want to do for the rest of your life. It's only now that I have realized that I became a lawyer because I had no inkling then what to do after taking up BA Political Science as an undergraduate course.

But let us not go into these misgivings again. My only point now is that, from 1982 to 1986, I was quite happy going to UP. I was one of those faceless, nameless souls who went around the campus absorbing the culture, enjoying the academic freedom, and exploring new things.

Nakakamiss.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home