Monday, July 05, 2004

a goddess called maria sharapova

My hubby and I often talk about gods and demi-gods and why some people seem to have it all. We call them "anak ng Diyos." To name a few: Mel Gibson, husband and wife Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts. In order not to sound sour-graping, we just console ourselves by speculating on their skeletons-in-the-closet. Probably, we say, Mel Gibson has "alipunga"; or Julia Roberts has eczema in unseen parts of her body. That's why I laughed so hard until my stomach hurt when I read on the net that Brad Pitt topped the list of "smelliest celebrities." Knowing my aversion to anything that will cause people to get into the "it's you they're talking about" mode, I actually thanked God that I was not Jennifer Aniston.

Now comes Maria Sharapova.

It's a good thing I only came to know about her after her Wimbledon victory. (I don't know what you make of it, but I have learned to maintain my sanity by avoiding the news). Otherwise, I would have gone into another "sighing state" asking why God could be so generous to her--six foot tall, with long leggedness (origin of the word: Melanie Marquez) and a tennis grand slam at age 17. (Is she really only 130 lbs?)

Hmmm... I think she has...

Here we go again!

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Eli said...

HI there! freelancer from MUG here. Ran into your blog from your signature.

I have to agree with your keep-the-sanity-by-avoiding-the-news technique. Less stress.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Yam,

Gods and demi-gods? Who are they? What are they? They are just like you and me mere mortals. I often say that beauty and the illusion of charmed life is only skin-deep. But sometimes, skin-deep is deep enough. Beauty is a talisman, a form of luck. We see so many beautiful people using beauty as their passport to a fabulous life and lifestyle. However, you are right about "skeletons in the closet". Not all supposedly beautiful people are truly, absolutely beautiful. It is, to an extent, an illusion. Great post, and looking forward to reading more!

Fabulously yours,
Dominique James

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger yamsky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger yamsky said...

Thanks guys for viewing my blog.

Eli: In my profession, it is sometimes dangerous not to know what's happening around you. But I have gotten by with minimal exposure to the news lately. I now do most of my news reading on the net. At least, I only have to click what interests me.

DJ: Yours was expectedly a "Dominique-y" comment. With your exposure to all shades of beauty and the illusions thereof, I am sure you have a lot more to say about the demi-gods around us. Will see you in action one of these days and try to rub elbows with them. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home